Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Not tolerating it

Well, I just called the hospital. They told me yesterday that they were putting her on a calorie fortifier which they are adding to my breast milk. No problem. It adds calories. Something she needs to grow. Well, she's not tolerating it. At all. So they are going to give her 3 feedings of regular breast milk and then 1 of formula and see how that works. Her nurse proceeds to explain that there are times that the babies stomachs cannot tolerate the formula either. If that happens they will have to put her strictly on IV fluids for a week and try to start giving her milk again after that. They said it was very normal for that to happen with premies but damn it breaks my heart to hear this. It kinda seems like a step back. They may be able to keep her on the formula for the 4th feeding, but basically she's not gaining as much weight as the doctor would like, so they're trying to up her calorie intake. They said breast milk is around 18-20 calories per ounce and they want her up to 24 calories per ounce. Hence the fortifier, which she is not tolerating. Only time will tell, and I'm probably jumping to conclusions and worrying for nothing but dammit, I'm a mom and it's my job to worry when my daughter is not doing as well as she could be. Can't help it. Anyway, will find out more later when I call this evening after evaluation. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment